Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Circle Skirt with some Extras



A few weeks ago I was telling my cousin about the clothes I have sewn in the last few months, and she mentioned she needed some new skirts, so I offered to make her one. She seemed excited about it, so I went home and started searching for the perfect material. She has similar taste to me – she likes girly colors, and so when I stumbled across this pink, flowery material in my closet I thought it would be perfect. I imagined something light, lacey and swingy, and remembered Dana's pattern from MADE . She gives great instructions on how to make a basic Circle skirt. I started out using her tutorial and put in a few extra touches.


What you will need:
·         2 yards of lightweight cotton material
·         Contrasting material and cord for piping (or already made piping)
·         Lace
·         Wide elastic (I used 1.5 inches wide)
Go to Dana's tutorial here to learn how to draft your pattern or you can download a great template here.

Instead of folding my fabric four ways and getting one big doughnut, I cut out four equal quarter circles.

Now make 4 strips of piping as long as the length of your skirt.


Sew together all four skirt pieces sandwiching in the piping. It is best to use a zipper foot and sew as close to the cord as you can. Make sure your cord is facing in, so it will be on the right side of the skirt.



Fold over the bottom of the skirt, about 1/4 of an inch and press. Then place the folded edge onto lace and pin in place. 

Sew along the entire skirt bottom, about 1/8 of an inch away from the folded edge.

Press the skirt. 

When you are done you should have something like this:

Now go back to Dana's site and learn how to sew on the elastic.

Enjoy your skirt!




Thanks couz for modeling the skirt!



I will be linking up to some of the link parties on this page. 

3 comments: