My little girl is into all the little girl characters like Dora, Hello Kitty, Princesses, Winnie the Poo, etc. One day, she wants a princess bed, the next day a Dora bed. It is hard to keep up.
I went to the store to see what sheets they had, but obviously it is either princess or Dora, so I decided it was time to get crafty.
I purchased a plain set of light pink sheets, and using fabric markers drew all of her favorite characters on it (leaving some more room, just in case we start liking a new character). The sheets are a big success (I have to wash and dry them while she is at daycare, because I am not allowed to take them off of her bed!).
It is actually pretty easy to do it, even if you are not that confident with drawing.
This is what I did:
1. Buy a set of plain sheets in a light color (white or any pastel color). You have to choose a light color because you will be tracing the characters, so you want to be able to see through the fabric a bit.
2. Look for your kid's favorite characters on the internet and print out however many you want.
3. Turn the sheets inside out and place all the character onto the sheets, right side facing down. Scotch tape the characters to the sheets. Make sure they are in the correct direction (not upside down).
4. Carefully turn the sheet right side out, so that the characters don't move.
5. With a black fabric marker, trace your characters to the sheets. You will want to place cardboard between the two sides of the sheets, so the marker doesn't soak through to the other side. Do one character at a time, and work slowly. I actually worked on this project while on bedrest, so I did it laying down, but i think it would be easiest to do the tracing on a big table or on the floor.
6. Now you can remove all the paper and tape.
7. Color in your characters with colored fabric markers, again place cardboard between the two sides of sheets.
8. Iron if markers request, and let dry 24 hours.