Tuesday, October 9, 2012

KCWC - Day two

Well, I got a lot of sewing done yesterday and today. In fact, I went to bed last night, and couldn't fall asleep, so I went back to my machine and sewed some more. Then my bobbin thread ran out, and I was too lazy to change it, so I went back to bed. Today is my free morning, so I washed the floor really quickly and went to work on my sewing....

We are going to visit my nephew for his first birthday, and I wanted to make him a special outfit. I chose a really cute pattern, and worked pretty hard, only problem....It is way too big! It fits Littleheart!!!! I hope it is big enough that he can wear it next winter...

I want him to have something for this year though (not that he will know the difference) so I looked through my brand new material and found the flannel train material I just ordered. Perfect, a soft pair of flannel PJ's!

It is so hard to know what size to make, right now he wears European 68, but he is growing so fast. I don't want him to grow out of it in one month. On the other hand, I made the first outfit a 92 and it is huge! So i compromised with myself and made the jammies around a 86. Of course I am panicky they will be too small, but we will just have to see.

For the pants, I just used a regular pants pattern, but made them with only two pieces following this tutorial. I added the feet using this tutorial. And I made the top starting out with this tutorial, but instead of the bias tape, I made the edge around the shirt using a new technique I learned while making the fleece coat. Oh and I used anti-slip material on the bottom of the feet! As you see, this shirt too is missing its snaps....Will just have to wait til I get them.

Here are some detail pictures:

Hope these keep you warm this winter baby E!


  1. Love the train fabric and the red trim!!!

  2. I am curious to know what the trim technique is that you used instead of bias tape? Those pajamas look so comfy!

    1. Hi Anne, it is explained in the Ottobre 4/2012 magazine. It is kind of like bias tape, but you don't have to do all the folding and ironing first. You cut a strip of KNIT fabric and line up the edge with your shirt edge, all around the shirt. Sew it on with a straight stitch. Then fold it over the edge and tuck the raw edge under on the wrong side and pin. Now sew along the edge on the RIGHT side,using a stitch that looks like a honeycomb (I don't know what it is called in English, and my Ottobre magazine is the German version, they call it a "Wabenstich" or a "Flatlocknaht". When you pin on your knit strip, make sure you pull it a little bit as you pin it on, so that it fits tightly. Maybe this technique is well known, I don't know, but it is new for me :)

    2. Thank you! I think I know what stitch you are talking about. I want to try this after seeing what you did on the jacket and these pajamas because making bias tape is such a pain!

    3. Great, let me know how it works out or if you need any help...

  3. That is so cute!!! I love the little feet on it

  4. I LOVE both outfits and E cannot wait to wear them!

  5. Cute and comfy too! Thank you so much!